Energy Performance Certificates

Why do I need an EPC?

An EPC is required when a building is constructed, rented or sold. A building will need an EPC if it has a roof and walls and uses energy to ‘condition an indoor climate’. This means it has heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation. For example, a garden shed would not need an EPC if it doesn’t have any heating. Also, if a building is fully detached, it does not need an EPC if it has an area of less than 50 square metres.

The building can either be a whole building or part of a building that has been designed or altered to be used separately. If a building is made up of separate units, each with its own heating system, each unit will need an EPC

What does it tell me?

The Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) gives you information about the efficiency of the property as well as the carbon output. Homes are rated from 1 - 100, and then broken down into bands A to G, with A being the most efficient. The average rating in the UK is currently D.

The EPC also includes a recommendation report which will tell you more about potential improvements which would suit the property as well as how much they would save per year. The recommendations also tell you what the rating would be if you put each one into place.

It is worth noting that, since 2018, there has been a minimum energy efficiency standard in place for rented properties. This means that properties with an energy rating of F or G cannot be rented out until their ratings have been raised to a minimum of band E (there are some exemptions to these rules, which can be found
here. It has been suggested that this minimum level will raise to band D in 2025, and band C in 2030.

How long is an EPC valid for?

As from May 21st 2010, all EPCs are valid for 10 years from the date of issue, however if you have made significant changes to the efficiency of the property, you may decide that a new certificate to reflect these changes might be worthwhile. After all, if you've paid £2,000 for a new boiler installation, another £50 to reflect the new rating to your prospective buyer or tenant might be money well spent!

I own a listed building, do I need an EPC?

The rules and regulations around listed properties are vague, and advice changes depending on who you speak to. In essence, the legislation states that a building of historical importance is exempt from the requirement for an EPC, if the recommendations which would be contained within the EPC would unacceptably alter the appearance or character of the property. This however causes a "Chicken and egg" situation, in that you cannot know which recommendations will be contained with in the EPC without carrying out a survey in the first place. Most landlords who own listed properties are taking the view that the legal advice required to avoid an EPC would be much more expensive than the EPC.

If you are applying for the renewable heat incentive, you will still need an EPC though, and the question of listed buildings and minimum energy efficiency standards (MEES) is a complex one… If you are in any doubt as to whether you may need an EPC, it is best to speak to an assessor or seek legal advice.

My property has no fixed heating, do I need an EPC?

In most cases, yes. The EPC has a provision for the assessor to input the property as 'No Fixed Heating' and/or 'No Fixed Hot Water'. This allows the software to come up with a worst case scenario rating. Although this rating won't look very good, it will still allow for a prospective rating to be calculated, showing how efficient the property would be with all the recommendations in place, including a suitable heating system.

The only time a residential property can be sold without an EPC is if the property is to be demolished.

Commercial Energy Performance Certificates

What about commercial properties?

Commercial properties also need EPCs when being sold or rented out, however the rating system is different and the reports are much more involved. Commercial properties are assessed by looking at the activity carried out in each area as well as the construction, heating, lighting, hot water etc. Each activity area or 'Zone' effectively has its own report criteria.

I'm not sure if my property needs a commercial or a residential EPC, how can I tell?

If you have a property which is a combination of residential and business, there are special rules which apply. You may need either a residential or commercial EPC for the whole building, or one of each... Please call to discuss your individual needs if this is the case for you.

Yes Energy Surveys

Why should we choose Yes Energy Surveys?

It is a competitive market we work in, and we are very aware that there are thousands of domestic energy assessors all trying to win your business, but there are few who have our level of experience. Experience in this business means faster, smoother, easier and more accurate... It even means more time left over to be polite and friendly!

We believe in a local choice. Not everyone likes to deal with a large national company with call centres, auto replies and flashy head offices... After all, they have to pay for all of that somehow, don't they? We believe that local networks are the way forward, and welcome all local letting agents, estate agents and private customers to keep business in the community!

Peterborough Rental Energy Performance Certificates - Peterborough EPCs - Peterborough Sales Energy Performance Certificates - Peterborough Commercial EPCs - Peterborough Commercial Energy Performance Certificates

Yes Energy Surveys Ltd trading as Yes Energy Surveys. Company number: 11860715. Registered office: 35 Leiston Court, Eye, Peterborough, PE6 7WL - 01733 442096 -